|
Hoon trip prompts diplomatic row
 |
| Geoff Hoon |
Plans for defence secretary Geoff Hoon to visit Gibraltar have sparked a war of words.
The Cabinet minister is expected to attend the 300th anniversary celebrations of the rock's British rule on Wednesday.
A military parade is set to be held and the Royal Navy is to be granted the freedom of the territory
However the trip has angered the Spanish government, which has been in dispute with Britain over the return of the land for decades.
Madrid's deputy prime minister, Maria Teresa Fernandez de la Vega, said a visit from Hoon would be "inopportune"
But on Monday Gibraltar's chief minister Peter Caruana said Spain had "no geographical case" to interfere.
"For the Spaniards... to try and lecture us on how we should commemorate that is none of their business and somewhat impertinent," he told BBC Radio 4's Today programme.
"We are not celebrating a military battle fought and won by British forces in 1704," he added.
"We are celebrating the 300th anniversary of British sovereignty and our relationship with Britain which has given us everything we have."
Liberal Democrat foreign affairs spokesman Sir Menzies Campbell said Madrid was making a mistake.
"As fellow members of NATO and the EU, Spain has no need to react in this way," he said.
"By doing so the Spanish government simply confirms the worst fears and prejudices of those in Gibraltar who are determined that there should be no accommodation with Spain."
A deal to move towards joint sovereignty of Gibraltar fell through last year when residents marched in their thousands against the plans.
And the government has insisted no treaty can be reached with Spain unless residents are in agreement.
|